"Any woman who chooses to behave like a full human being should be warned that the armies of the status quo will treat her as something of a dirty joke. That's their natural and first weapon." ~ Gloria Steinem

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Greetings to blogland

Hi.

I created this blog to fill a void that perhaps only I have noticed. I am an actively recovering Catholic, and in my quest for "deconversion" stories that I can relate to, I have found that there aren't any.

You see, all of the accounts I have been able to find thus far are written by those who never really believed in Christianity; they went through the motions to please their parents/friends/society, but never truly felt it was worthwhile. Some of them weren't raised Catholic but sought it out later in life, only to find that it wasn't what they'd expected. Others tried their damnedest to believe, pouring all their energy into church and Bible studies and prayer and begging God to help them believe--only to abandon their efforts as futile.

My friends, I do not fall into any of those categories. I bought into it. I bought into it heart and soul. Six years ago I wanted to be a nun, people. Now? I'm reading Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris, reading/following various atheist websites/twitter accounts, and most importantly, thinking about atheism on a near-daily basis.

Many, many issues surround the statements I just made, all of which I will deal with in future posts. Consider this my introduction. 

And because I am by nature a ponderer, I will not limit myself to questions of religion and atheism. Trust me, my brain is full of thoughts I want to pour out in this blog. And so this will be an olio of intellect, if you will. Enjoy my twisted mind.



I have another blog, but it is generally personal and inane drivel; you may pretend this is my only presence on the Interwebs. Apart from twitter.com/hybridization, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment