"Any woman who chooses to behave like a full human being should be warned that the armies of the status quo will treat her as something of a dirty joke. That's their natural and first weapon." ~ Gloria Steinem

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

On Departures from Parental Values and Why I'm Going to Post this Post I'm Going to Post

So I'm going to post this thing about bisexuality. I'm kind of apprehensive about posting it. I mean, it's kind of feeling like I'm coming out or something, but anyone who knows me at all should probably have figured it out already, also should probably have noticed how little I care about things like "coming out" since I usually just drop the "Lady lips are fun to kiss" bomb in random conversations with very little fanfare.

Maybe it's because my mom has the ability to read this blog, although I'm not certain she knows it's here. Anyway, I'm not convinced she will be surprised at anything I throw at her these days, what with all the "I don't believe in God anymore" and "I am having sex with my boyfriend as evidenced by our discussion of my long-term form of birth control" and "I think gay people should be able to get married" and "I voted for Obama and Sarah Palin scares the shit out of me" and "I think socialized health care is a good idea and tax cuts for the rich is a terrible idea" shit I throw around these days.

I've never really sat my mom down in order to share these departures from her values and beliefs; I've treated her the way I've treated everyone in my life regarding these things: it's not a big deal to me, so I don't want to make it a big deal by making a production out of telling people stuff. It's more like a "this is who I am now; deal with it" kind of thing, rather than, "I believe all these things that are different from what I used to believe, and dealing with this new stuff is traumatic and has disrupted my life, hence I feel the need to ritually mark this in the way I let you know about it."

I mean, people who need to come out, more power to you. And people who need to ritually mark their departure from parental values, do it and be proud. It just ain't me.

So, making a whole formal post about bisexuality seems both oddly ritualistic and a bit after the fact. However, I have good reasons for doing it--which will be explained in the post, actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment