"Any woman who chooses to behave like a full human being should be warned that the armies of the status quo will treat her as something of a dirty joke. That's their natural and first weapon." ~ Gloria Steinem

Monday, February 28, 2011

Surprise Ways To Perpetuate The Rape Culture: Things You Probably Didn't Know You Were Already Doing, Part One

Basic Definition Of Rape Culture: A culture in which ignoring and/or crossing the boundaries of others is implicitly understood to be normal, acceptable, and desired.


Venue: stand-up comedy show
When the comic asks for a volunteer to go up onstage for some reason, be
  1. that person who raises their hand and points to the friend they came with
  2. who clearly does not want to volunteer.
OR
  1. the comic who seizes on the person who is being volunteered yet
  2. is slouching in their seat and 
  3. covering their face with their hand. 
Hey, it's my own fault if I fail to strike the perfect body language of indifference, right? My obvious discomfort is clearly fodder for your amusement! Also, I probably really do want to go onstage, I'm just too stuck in my head to know it, and I'll be thanking you once I pull the stick out of my ass.


Venue: drinking with your friends
  1. Buy someone a shot 
  2. after they've already explicitly stated that they're done drinking
  3. for any reason whatsoever.
Clearly, your need to avoid drinking alone trumps any need I might have for ceasing to drink! Also, I probably don't really want to stop drinking, I just don't want to spend any more money, so you'll pay for it, and I'll be thanking you once I pull the stick out of my ass.


Stay tuned for more installments of SWTPTRC!

No comments:

Post a Comment