"Any woman who chooses to behave like a full human being should be warned that the armies of the status quo will treat her as something of a dirty joke. That's their natural and first weapon." ~ Gloria Steinem

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

On Running

I went for a run today.

Now, you need to know that the last time I recall "going for a run"--as in, intentionally running not toward or from anything in particular, certainly not an ice cream truck or a burning building--was freshman year of college. As in, 2002-3. I do not recall when, exactly, this Run took place; I just know it was freshman year. It was probably the spring--I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been running during marching band season.

 So; now you know that I do not Run. However, today, I did.

Here's the thing: I used to run when I was a kid. Not with an iPod and running shoes and schedules, but in the cow pasture across the road from my house. I ran around and around and my dog dissolved into joy and chased me around and around, and it was wonderful, and I was running just because it was wonderful.

Later, I thought about joining track in high school, but spring was when we put on the musical, and I was all into theatre and stuff.

So; today I Ran. I'm doing this Couch to 5K thing I found on the internets, which is designed for people who don't run to start running without killing themselves or hating it. The first week involves alternating walking and running in short increments.

The first 60-second jogging interval was cake. I'm like, hell yeah. I can do this. I rule.

The second 60-second jogging interval was hell. I'm like, fuck. This fucking sucks. I can't believing I'm fucking running. Jesus.

The third 60-second jogging interval was (second interval) - 2suck.

The fourth 60-second jogging interval was awesome. I'm like, shit, this sucks, but it's kind of fun. I will pwn you, legs.

At the end of the 20-minute session, my legs were sore, but I wasn't too terribly winded, and the walk back cooled me down pretty well. Let's see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment